Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Clear day?

  It’s a clear day.  Most of the mental fogginess has drifted, could be the Vyvance or the tea.  I am grateful for both.  I doubt my grammar.  The Vyvance doesn’t treat that.     The last four months have been brave and productive.  I decided to try to get ahead of the low bipolar cycle with lots of meds and lots of therapy.  It’s working.  I decided to be more social and get out of the apartment more often.  That seems to be working as well.                   So it’s been a year and some days, since I’ve scribble away.  I have missed blogging, haven’t been doing it.  I don’t know why.   I have too many thoughts and get overwhelmed by the weight of them I guess.  But it’s time to move forward.  I adopted a dog, Milo.  I joined a quilt guild.  I want to return to creating and living and projects.  I finished a mug rug binding and all.  The process of designing and sewing and committing to the fabric was both frightening and thrilling. Thanks to Jean a member of Stray Threads who encouraged me to participate.   I have to laugh though; the woman who got my rug in the swap wasn’t impressed.  It doesn’t matter.  I was impressed.  I designed an object, decided on the materials and put it together.  I committed to the mug rug and then released it into the wild.  The butterfly cliché is shamefully acknowledged.  LoL.      Had a great weekend, sewed with the Stray Threads at the Woodinville firehouse.  I stitched some foundation blocks in bright primary batiks and then ruined them while trying to remove the paper.   My Mother’s advise – appliqué over it. J I went to the Quilter’s Anonymous quilt show.  There was a lot to take in, stories spoken and stitched, intricate, warm and generous.  How can you deny the honesty of a quilter who bares their soul in thread?  The quilt is a metaphor for safety and risk.    There weren’t any political quilts at this show, no quilts marking the conquering of cancer commemorating anniversaries or family memories.  There were several bold black and white quilts trimmed with acid green.  Bright semi neon quilts were visual stand outs.  Five members of the guild entered hand quilted quilts.  There were many giant, practical and gorgeous bed quilts on display soft from use.  I admired three vintage quilts made from old kits that were inherited or purchased.  I am still wondering about the women who started and finished them.      Donna Eines was one of the featured artists and her handwork and hand quilting are breathtaking.  I envy her dedication to design and tiny detail.  How wonderful to be so immersed in our technique.  It was remarkable to watch her calmly and confidently place and pull her needle.    I miss losing myself in the creative process that way.  I miss disappearing into a script and moving actors about the stage.  I need to find a way back to the passion of the creative process.  Regan a member of Stray Threads posted on FB on her love of the quilting process.  I am envious.  What stories could I tell with my quilts?  Do they have to tell a story or is the process of manifestation enough?

1 comment:

  1. It's a bit of both! Can I say that I'm so glad I met ya?!!! I find my love/creativity is feast or famine. I'm on a feast phase. :)

    ReplyDelete