Sunday, July 29, 2012

Red sequins

I haven't been able to decide what I am. Crafter? Needle worker? Crocheter? Project starter? My friend Ann has a brilliant license plate, "DABBLER". I have no real idea how many projects I have started and that now live in zip lock bags. It’s a guilt pang. Why? My paternal Grandmother had various interests. My Mother finishes every project she starts. I can’t concentrate on one project for more than two weeks. I blame the ADD it makes easier. I even buy other people’s unfinished projects. I have come across some un finished embroideries recently. Beautiful designs that are almost finished. I wonder why they were left undone. Did the stitcher get bored? Did she have more pressing projects? Did she hate her stitches? Were her hands arthritic? I want to finish them, should I continue their work or pick out their threads and start over? What would I want someone to do with my unfinished work? I could ask these questions all day. I found an old project today, a calendar from 1981. I think it was a gift from my maternal Grandmother. It the kind that you sew beads and sequins on. When I opened it I remember thinking it would take forever to finish. I sewed the beads and sequins clumsily. I am sure that the slow pace frustrated me. I can look at it now, a little more than half done and visualize completing it. It’s a calendar from 1981. I was 12 years old when I started the calendar. It won’t be accurate again until 2015. Maybe that’s reason enough to buy more sequins. Maybe it’s the reason to finish what’s been started regardless of when it was started or by whom.

No comments:

Post a Comment